I Love Chile News


World’s Biggest Solar Plant Planned for Chile

World’s Biggest Solar Plant Planned for Chile
October 03
14:24 2013

The World’s Biggest Solar Park is planned in Chile. The “Project Salvador” will cost about US$ 200 million.

chile news, noticias chile

Photo: Flickr/Photo Mojo Mike

SANTIAGO — According to their statement, the French oil giant Total and the Canadian Etrion will build the largest photovoltaic park in the world, in the Atacama desert. The costs of about US$20 million will be born to 70% by the US Government’s development finance institution, the Overseas Private Investment Corporation, “OPIC”. The remaining 30% will be financed by Etrion, Total and the Chilean company Solventus. The solar power plant will be built on 133 hectares leased from the Chilean government through a long-term concession.

The project is supposed to profit from Chile’s high electricity prices, large energy demand and low construction costs. Philippe Boisseau, the head of marketing and services and “new energies” at Total, said “this merchant project confirms that solar energy is becoming competitive with other conventional energy sources” and explained, the project is an important step in the process of transforming the capabilities of solar power in the world.

Marco A. Northland, CEO of Etrion, stated, the project will demonstrate that solar is a viable and sustainable power solution in Chile, given the strong solar irradiation and high electricity prices in the region.

The Project Salvador construction is expected to begin in the next few months, and is supposed to be start working in 2015. The project will use SunPower Oasis Power Blocks system, which builds solar farms in 1.5 Megawatt modules using high-efficiency solar panels and single-axis trackers.

Once operational, Project Salvador is expected to produce approximately 200 gigawatt-hours of solar electricity per year, suggesting a capacity factor of more than 30% – and delivering regularly during daytime. It will provide enough energy to supply electricity to approximately 60,000 people in Chile.

chile news, noticias chile

Lea Katharina Wirz

Lea is a journalist from Germany, who lives in Chile since July of 2013 in order to work for I Love Chile and to learn about the country. She loves travelling and spends a lot of time on seeing new places and meeting new people.
chile news, noticias chile

Latest posts by Lea Katharina Wirz (see all)


Write a Comment

Shout Out Your Comments!

Weather in the Capital

broken clouds
humidity: 46%
wind: 4km/h SSE
H 21 • L 21

Get the news everyday by email FREE!!! Enter your email here and click ok.

FBFPowered by ®Google Feedburner

I Love Chile Archives

Join Expat Community Spirit

FREE Digital Magazine

Sign up today and receive I Love Chile's weekly digital magazine every week direct to your inbox.

Follow us on Twitter

Learn to write in English with our academic experts.

Free academic writing guides for college and graduate ESL students.